Sliced Beef Tongue Stew with Potatoes & Veggies
Rumba® Beef Tongue
prep time: 00:30:00 cook time: 03:30:00
- 30 MIN Prep Time
- 3-4 HRS Cook Time
- 8 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Tongue (1 package)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 5 cups cooking liquid reserved from step 2 (add additional beef broth as needed to make up the volume)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ají dulce peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Beef broth, as needed
- Place tongue in a large pot and add enough water to cover by 1-inch. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 hours.
- Remove tongue from the pot, cover loosely with plastic wrap and cool. Reserve cooking liquid.
- When tongue is cool, remove the skin by splitting it on the underside and peeling it away.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven. Brown tongue lightly on all sides over medium heat. Remove and set aside. Add onions, garlic and peppers. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce, 5 cups reserved cooking liquid (add additional beef broth, if needed, to equal 5 cups), oregano, cilantro and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add browned tongue to the pot. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours until tongue is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Add potatoes and continue to simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the tongue and set aside. Bring the sauce back to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves.
- Slice tongue and return to sauce. Keep warm.
- Serve with rice, potatoes and green salad, if desired
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.