Back to all recipes
Mole de Olla
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 2-3 hours | Serves: 6
- Rumba® Beef Hind Shank (1 1/2 lbs., cut in 2-inch pieces)
- 5 guajillo chilies, seeds and stems removed, toasted and soaked
- 1 ancho chili, seeded and stems removed, toasted and soaked
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp corn or vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cactus pad (nopalé or xoconostle), peeled and quartered
- 3 medium green zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-1/2 inch strips
- 2 corn ears, cut into 6 pieces each
- 1/2 cup hominy corn
- 2 tbsp epazoté, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, cooked
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Combine meats in a large soup pot. Add enough water to cover by 1-2 inches. Bring to a boil and lower to a gentle simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours, skimming the fat and foam off the top several times while cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare soaked, toasted chilies by pureeing them in a blender or food processor with the garlic and cinnamon. Add a small amount of broth or water to the chilies to help puree, if necessary.
- Heat oil in a large, deep sauté pan. Add onions and cook gently until soft and lightly brown. Add chili puree and fry for about 10 minutes or until very fragrant.
- When the meat is tender, add the cactus, zucchini, corn, hominy and chili mixture. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the epazoté and green beans and continue cooking 5 additional minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with black beans and tortillas.