Grilled Beef Tongue
Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue
- 2-3 HRS Prep Time
- 30-45 MIN Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (3-4 pounds)
- Lard or vegetable oil (as needed)
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Rinse beef tongue in cold running water. Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours (the base of tongue should be fork tender, but the tip still a little firm).
- Remove from the heat and allow the tongue to cool in its juices. When cool enough to handle, peel and discard the skin.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Cut the tongue in half the long way. Coat evenly with softened lard or vegetable oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Grill the tongue over medium heat until tender and lightly brown and internal temperature reaches 160ºF. Thin slice grilled tongue.
- Serve with lime wedges, roasted corn and chili powder to taste, if desired.
What does beef tongue taste like?
Beef tongue is a delicious, traditional variety meat that tastes like a rich hearty cut of beef, similar to a tender roast beef. When prepared properly, the beef tongue (lengua) will become tender while still having a bit of texture.
Beef tongue is an excellent choice for tacos, burritos, or even side dishes and is a good source of protein, with 17 grams per serving.
How do you cook beef tongue?
For preparation versatility, beef tongue can be cooked in stock on the stove top, in a slow cooker, or in a pressure cooker until fully cooked and tender. Peel, trim, and slice or chop cooked beef tongue based on your recipe. For our grilled beef tongue recipe, we simmered beef tongue on the stovetop for 2 hours until tender and fully cooked, peeled and cut it into two long, thick slices, and then finished on a sizzling hot grill with a squeeze of lime for extra flavor.
Grilling slices of cooked tongue will leave the beef tongue moist and tender with a delicious, smoky flavor. Slice grilled tongue diagonally into pieces and serve with fresh-cut lime wedges.
How do you know when beef tongue is cooked?
Your beef tongue is ready to eat when it is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. The cook time will vary depending on the preparation method you use. A 3-pound beef tongue typically takes about 2 hours to cook in a stockpot on the stove, 8 hours on low in a slow cooker, or about 60 to 75 minutes in a pressure cooker.
However, be careful not to overcook your beef tongue. The meat could become stringy and lose its juiciness if it’s overcooked.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.