Beef Heart Stew
Rumba Meats® Beef Heart
prep time: 00:40:00 cook time: 03:00:00
- 40 MIN Prep Time
- 3 HRS Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Heart (1 package, cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Mirepoix: 1 cup chopped onion, ½ cup chopped carrots, ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1-quart beef stock, divided
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt & black pepper, as needed
- Slice beef heart into cubes. Season heart with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add cubed heart and sear meat, stirring frequently. Remove heart from pan and set aside.
- Stir in mirepoix ingredients and saute over medium-low heat until tender. Add tomato paste and cook until aromatic and brick red.
- Add red wine and simmer until liquid is reduced to about ¼ of the original volume.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining 1 cup beef stock and whisk to blend. Add to pan with remaining beef broth and stir to blend. Add seared heart cubes, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 2½ hours until tender and heart reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Serve with buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.