Pressure Cooker Menudo
Rumba® Beef Scalded Tripe
prep time: 00:30:00 cook time: 01:45:00
- 30-45 MIN Prep Time
- 1-2 HRS Cook Time
- 8 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Scalded Tripe (1 package)
- 1 lb. Rumba® pork neckbone
- 2 Rumba® pork split front feet
- 2 epazote sprigs (mint and a lemon skin may be substituted)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dry chili ancho, without vein and seeds (add an additional chili for extra spice, if desired)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, fresh
- 1 onion, yellow or white
- 3 qts water (enough to cover ingredients, plus 2 inches)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, yellow or white, chopped
- 2 tomatoes (approx. 1/2 lb)
- 2 cups white hominy
- 1 tablespoon corn starch, if needed
- 1/2 cup vinegar, optional
- Rinse meats, cut tripe into bite size pieces, cut feet into quarters, cut neckbones into chunks.
- Using a pressure cooker (including Instant Pot) at high heat, add meats, epazote, bay leaf, cloves, peppercorn, oregano, chilli ancho, nutmeg, onion (cut in quarters), salt and water.
- With lid off, bring to a boil then reduce heat. Skim any fat and foam. Stir carefully until no foam is produced. Remove and put chilli ancho aside once soft. NOTE: If cooking on stovetop, follow the same directions: Bring water to a boil and lower heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours until meat is tender. Skip to step 6.
- Lock pressure cooker lid (raising the pressure), then reduce heat to as low as possible to maintain a constant pressure. Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat and let it release all the pressure (approximately 15 minutes).
- In a saucepan, heat oil and sauté garlic and onion, add tomatoes last. Mix sautéed ingredients with chilli ancho in a blender. Add the mix to pressure cooker (or stovetop pot) and stir.
- Add additional spice or salt if desired.
- Add the hominy.
- If needed, dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch into the broth and simmer for a few more minutes to thicken. OPTIONAL: Add vinegar for a more tart, pickled flavor and to reduce grease.
- Serve with wedges of lime, chopped onions and corn tortillas.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.