Our pressure cooker menudo recipe saves time as well, check it out here.
Rumba Meats® Beef Scalded Tripe
prep time: 00:45:00 cook time: 04:00:00
- 45 MIN Prep Time
- 1.5 HRS Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Scalded Tripe (1 package, cut into 1-1/2" chunks)
- 1 package Rumba® Beef Feet (optional but recommended)
- 2 dried ancho chiles, whole
- 6-9 dried California chiles, stemmed, seeded, deveined
- 1/2 white onion, quartered
- 1 garlic head, divided
- 2 tbsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 (29 oz) can hominy
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- Water, as needed (approx. 1 gallon)
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Chopped white onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Dried Mexican oregano
- Sliced jalapeños
- Limes, wedged
- Corn tortillas, warm
- Optional step: Boil 3 beef feet in 1 gallon of water for 3 hours or until tender and internal temperature reaches 160ºF. Strain stock and set aside.
- Meanwhile, hydrate dried chiles in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain and repeat.
- In a blender, combine softened chiles, white onion, 3 cloves garlic and water, as needed, to puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse beef scalded tripe. Cut into 1½-inch pieces.
- In a pot, add tripe pieces, oregano, hominy, bouillon cubes and remaining garlic in a tied cheesecloth bag with enough reserved stock or water to cover the tripe by ½-inch.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 40 minutes until tripe is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Taste for seasoning. Remove from heat and serve topped with chopped onions, cilantro, oregano, jalapenos, lime juice and warm tortillas.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.