Tongue in Red Wine Sauce
Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 02:00:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 2 HRS Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Tongue (1 package)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 celery stakjs
- 15 peppercorns
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 envelopes of sazón with annatto and coriander (w/o MSG)
- 2 bell peppers (green and red)
- 2 large onions, white or yellow (sliced in rings)
- 2 tomatoes, cut in small wedges
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced in wedges, if desired
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- Using a pressure cooker set on high heat, add beef tongue and cover with water. Add salt, celery and peppercorns. With lid off, boil tongue and skim any foam until none is produced.
- Lock pressure cooker lid (raising the pressure), then reduce heat to as low as possible to maintain a constant pressure. Cook for 1 hour until tongue is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat and let it release all the pressure (approximately 15 minutes).
- Carefully open pressure cooker. Remove tongue using long tongs.
- Note: If cooking on stovetop, follow the same directions: Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 2 hours until tongue is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Using a knife, remove the skin on cooked tongue by splitting it on the underside and peeling it away. Slice tongue. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan, add onions, peppers, tomatoes, jalapeno and garlic powder and saute until onion are translucent and vegetables are soft.
- Rub sliced tongue with sazón and add to saucepan, mixing well with vegetables.
- Add wine and simmer until wine evaporates. Reduce to low heat and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and salad, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.