Veracruz Style Tripe Stew
Recipe courtesy of Charbel Barker with My Latina Table
Rumba Meats® Beef Honeycomb Tripe
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 01:00:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 1 HR Cook Time
- 4 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Honeycomb Tripe (1 package)
- 4¼ cups water
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 head of garlic (about 4-5 cloves), chopped
- 1 branch of fresh oregano
- 1 branch of fresh rosemary
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of vinegar
- Guajillo sauce (2 pasilla peppers, 2 guajillo peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, clove of garlic)
- 1 can of beef stock
- 1 can of hominy
- 2 potatoes, cut into medium sized cubes
- Garnish: Onion, cilantro and lime to taste
- Clean honeycomb tripe in water and vinegar. Rinse.
- Trim the fat around the edges of honeycomb tripe. Cut into small chunks.
- In a heavy pot, heat water to a heavy boil; add honeycomb tripe and cook for 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- Drain the water and rinse the Tripe again. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare guajillo sauce: Remove seeds, devein and stem pasilla and guajillo peppers. Heat in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain water. Place softened peppers, salt, pepper, cumin and garlic in a blender; pulse until blended. Strain mixture and set aside.
- For tripe stew: In a large, clean pot, add 4¼ cups water, onion, garlic, salt, fresh herbs, beef stock, potatoes and cooked tripe.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add reserved guajillo sauce and hominy to the pot and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with lime wedges, chopped onion, and cilantro.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.