Back to all recipes
Tostadas de Lengua
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 1+ hours | Serves: 8-10
- Rumba® Beef Tongue (1 package)
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 corn tortillas (mini corn tortillas recommended)
- Place beef tongue, water, onion, garlic and sea salt in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Once it’s tender, take the tongue out of the stock to cool off. Peel off the outer layer of skin when you are able to handle the tongue. It’s easier to take the skin off while the tongue is warm. Dice tongue into ½-inch cubes and set aside.
- Strain the stock and set aside. Refrigerate the stock so you can skim the fat off and discard, or use a fat separator.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and let come to a boil as you stir. Add diced tongue, ½ cup reserved stock, black pepper and garlic powder. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken. If tongue is too dry, you can add more stock, but this recipe should not be runny if using as a filling or topping.
- To make the tostadas: In a heavy skillet, heat one-quarter inch vegetable oil. Fry tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil for 20 to 40 seconds on each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. Store-bought tostadas can also be used.
- Top one tostada with lengua and drizzle with your favorite salsa to taste. Garnish each with toppings of your choice.