- Rumba® Beef Tongue (1 package)
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 corn tortillas (mini corn tortillas recommended)
- Salsa, as needed
- Tostada toppings of your choice
- Place beef tongue, water, onion, garlic and sea salt in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until tongue is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Remove tongue from stock to cool slightly. Peel off the outer layer of skin when you are able to handle the tongue. (It’s easier to take the skin off while the tongue is warm.) Dice tongue into ½-inch cubes and set aside.
- Strain the stock. Refrigerate to skim the fat off or use a fat separator to remove fat. Reserve.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Add diced tomatoes and stir to blend. Add diced tongue, ½ cup reserved stock, black pepper and garlic powder. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken. (If tongue is too dry, you can add more stock, but tongue mixture should not be runny.)
- To make tostadas: In a heavy skillet, heat one-quarter inch vegetable oil. Fry tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil for 20 to 40 seconds on each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels. (Store-bought tostadas can also be used.)
- Top tostadas with tongue mixture and salsa to taste. Garnish with toppings of your choice.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.