Back to all recipes
Sweetbreads Fried Empanadas
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 12
- Rumba® Beef Sweetbreads (1 lb., cleaned)
- 1 lb. fresh corn masa (prepared corn tortilla masa)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons minced Epazote
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Place the clean Sweetbreads in a chopping board and chopped them into small bite pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add onion and cook, stirring until translucent, about two minutes.
- Add the serrano peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the sweetbreads and cook for about 10 minutes or until sweetbreads are soft.
- Add the epazote and season with salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide the masa into 12 round balls.
- Using a tortilla press, flatten a ball of the masa between sheets of plastic to make a medium (5-inch) tortilla. Remove the top piece of plastic. Add the filling, then fold in half and press edges together with a fork creating a seal. You can use an empanada maker.
- Have your hot oil ready (medium heat) and drop a couple at a time. Fry them until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Put fried ones on a plate with paper towels to drain some of the oil. Best when served warm.