- Rumba® Beef Sweetbreads (1 pound, cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb. fresh corn masa (prepared corn tortilla masa)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons minced Epazote
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Rinse beef sweetbreads in cold water. Transfer clean sweetbreads to cutting board and chop into small bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add the serrano peppers and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato and cook for 1 minute.
- Add sweetbread pieces and cook for about 10 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160ºF and sweetbreads are soft.
- Add epazote and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove filling from heat and set aside.
- Divide the masa into 12 round balls.
- Using a tortilla press, flatten a ball of the masa between sheets of plastic to make a medium (5-inch) tortilla. Remove the top piece of plastic. Add filling, fold in half and press edges together with a fork creating a seal. Repeat with remaining masa balls. (You can use an empanada maker, if desired.)
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy skillet or stockpot over medium heat. Working in several smaller batches, carefully lower empanadas into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining empanadas.
- Transfer empanadas to a plate lined with paper towels to drain oil.
- Serve warm.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.