Spicy Honeycomb Tripe
Rumba Meats® Beef Honeycomb Tripe
- 30 MIN Prep Time
- 2 HRS Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Honeycomb Tripe (1 package)
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped
- 1 knob ginger, peeled and bruised
- 1 bunch of cilantro stems
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic Chili Sambal Oelek Sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup sake or white wine
- Rinse honeycomb tripe in running fresh water.
- Combine water, sake, garlic, scallion, ginger and cilantro. Bring to a simmer and add honeycomb tripe.
- Simmer about 1 hour until honeycomb tripe is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Remove honeycomb tripe from liquid and cool. Cut into stir-fry size strips.
- In a skillet, heat oil on high heat. Add honeycomb tripe and stir-fry for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add garlic chili sauce, lime juice and sugar and stir to blend.
- Serve with jasmine rice, if desired.
How do you clean tripe?
To clean honeycomb tripe, simply rinse it under fresh running water. Some traditional tripe recipes call for rinsing tripe in a mixture of water and vinegar or water and fresh lime juice before cooking.
How do you cook tripe?
There are a few traditional methods available when it comes to how to cook tripe. Simmer tripe in stock low and slow on the stove top or in a slow cooker until tender. If you’re strained on time, you can prepare tripe in a pressure cooker in about 45 minutes.
Our Spicy Honeycomb Tripe recipe calls for simmering the tripe for about an hour in water with garlic, ginger, and cilantro, and then stir-frying cut strips of tender tripe in a spicy blend of oil, garlic chili sauce, lime juice, and sugar.
What is the difference between tripe and honeycomb tripe?
Tripe comes from the lining of a cow’s stomach. Honeycomb tripe, which is generally considered to be the best type of tripe, comes specifically from the second stomach chamber.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.