Braised Beef Shank
Rumba® Beef Cross-Cut Hind Shank
Submitted by Timothy Lum Yee, Hawaii
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 02:00:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 2-3 HRS Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Cross-Cut Hind Shank (4 pounds or approximately 3-4 beef shanks)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt or Hawaiian salt
- 1 cup of red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 large or 2 medium zucchini, cut to ½ inch slices
- 1 large or 2 medium eggplant, cut into ½ inch slices
- 5 small red potatoes, each cut into four
- 1 14-oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 diced tomato
- Pat beef shanks dry with paper towel. Drizzle olive oil on shanks, sprinkle salt, freshly ground pepper, thyme, and garlic. Do not over salt.
- In a large roasting pot or Dutch oven, carefully brown both sides of shanks over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes on each side until shanks have a dark brown crust. Use tongs to lift up shanks to check color and ensure sides do not burn.
- While shanks are browning, add onions and continue to brown.
- Add 1 cup red wine and deglaze the pan, using a spatula to blend browned bits on bottom of pan with wine.
- Add zucchini, eggplant, potatoes, and bay leaves. Add ½ cup water, bring to boil.
- Immediately turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours or until shanks are tender and reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Stir in stewed tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top braised beef with diced tomatoes. Serve with pasta, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.