Back to all recipes
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 4-5 hours | Serves: 4
- Rumba® Beef Hind Shank (2 lbs., cut into cubes)
- Vegetable oil (as needed)
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- FOR STOCK:
- 7 oz canned navy beans, drained
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup turnip, diced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or use canned crushed or diced
- 8 oz bacon, diced
- 2 qts beef broth
- Cheese cloth bag or tea ball containing: 1 tbsp peppercorns, 1 bay leaf and 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Combine the stock ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours. Strain and reserve (this step can be done the day before – if so, refrigerate).
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with flour.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large heavy stewing pot.
- Brown the beef in small batches, adding more oil to the pan as necessary between batches. Hold the browned cubes on the side.
- When all of the meat has browned, pour off the excess fat and add the prepared stock. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer.
- Return the cubes to the stock and simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.