Rumba Meats® Beef Cross-Cut Hind Shank
prep time: 00:30:00 cook time: 04:00:00
- 30 MIN Prep Time
- 4-5 HRS Cook Time
- 4 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Cross-Cut Hind Shank (2 lbs., cut into cubes)
- Vegetable oil (as needed)
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- FOR STOCK:
- 1¼ cups canned, drained navy beans
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup turnip, diced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or use canned crushed or diced
- 8 oz bacon, raw, diced
- 2 qts beef broth
- Cheese cloth bag or tea ball containing: 1 tbsp peppercorns, 1 bay leaf and 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Combine beans, carrots, turnips, onions, tomatoes, bacon, beef broth and a blend of peppercorns, bay leaf and garlic tied in a cheesecloth bag in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours. Strain and save the stock. (This step can be done the day before and refrigerated.)
- Cut beef hind shank into cubes. Season beef cubes with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with flour; shake excess.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large heavy pot.
- Brown the beef cubes in small batches, adding more oil to the pot, as necessary between batches. Remove browned beef cubes and set aside.
- When all of the meat has browned, pour off the excess fat. Add prepared stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Return beef cubes to the stock and simmer until tender, about 2 hours until tender and oxtails reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as necessary.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.