Mondongo: Tasty Beef Tripe Stew
Rumba Meats® Beef Honeycomb Tripe
prep time: 00:30:00 cook time: 02:30:00
- 30 MIN Prep Time
- 2-3 HRS Cook Time
- 8 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Honeycomb Tripe (3 pounds, cut into 2-inch squares)
- 1 lb beef feet, quartered
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 2 qt low-sodium beef broth or water
- 1/2 lb taro root, yucca or yautía, diced
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes or yams, diced
- 1/2 lb pumpkin, diced
- 1/2 lb boniato or ñame, diced
- 2/3 cup sofrito
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cut beef honeycomb tripe into 2-inch squares. Toss the honeycomb tripe with lemon juice and place in a large soup pot. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Drain tripe, rinse and add back to the pot.
- Meanwhile, slice beef feet into quarters. Add to pot with honeycomb tripe. Add broth and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer honeycomb tripe and feet for 2 hours until tender and honeycomb tripe and beef feet reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Add diced vegetables, sofrito and tomato sauce. Continue simmering until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with white rice, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.