Rabo Encendido: Tasty Beef Oxtail
Rumba® Beef Oxtails
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 04:30:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 4-5 HRS Cook Time
- 4 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (4 pounds, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- Flour for dusting (as necessary)
- Olive oil (as needed)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 qt beef broth
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dry
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Rinse beef oxtails and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour; shake excess.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large heavy pot. Brown the oxtails in small batches, adding more oil, as necessary, between batches. Remove browned pieces and set aside.
- Drain off any excess oil and add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until soft and lightly brown. Stir in tomato paste and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add red wine and simmer to a syrup-like consistency. Add beef broth, thyme and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Return the oxtails to the pot, reduce heat and simmer for about 4 hours until oxtails are tender and reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Remove oxtails and hold warm on the side. Degrease the cooking liquid and continue to simmer until lightly thickened.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional cayenne, if necessary. Return oxtails to the sauce and stir to blend.
- Serve with steamed white rice, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.