Southern Oxtail Stew
Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 04:30:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 4-5 HRS Cook Time
- 4 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (4 pounds, cut in 2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons flour plus more for dusting
- Vegetable oil (as needed)
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 qt beef broth
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 8 oz fresh or 10 oz frozen okra, sliced
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- Rinse oxtails and dry with paper towels. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Dust evenly with flour; shake excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot. Brown oxtail pieces in small batches, adding more oil to the pan between batches, if necessary. Remove browned oxtail pieces and set aside.
- Add onions to the same pot and brown slowly. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and paprika.
- Stir in broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and return oxtails to the pot. Simmer gently, about 3 to 4 hours, until tender and oxtail reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Add okra and hot pepper flakes and simmer until the okra is tender, about 10 minutes (less time if using frozen okra).
- Season the stew with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with white rice, boiled potatoes or buttered noodles, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.