Southern Oxtail Stew
Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 4-5 HRS Cook Time
- 4 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails (4 pounds, cut in 2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons flour plus more for dusting
- Vegetable oil (as needed)
- 1 cup onions, minced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 qt beef broth
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 8 oz fresh or 10 oz frozen okra, sliced
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- Rinse oxtails and dry with paper towels. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Dust evenly with flour; shake excess.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot. Brown oxtail pieces in small batches, adding more oil to the pan between batches, if necessary. Remove browned oxtail pieces and set aside.
- Add onions to the same pot and brown slowly. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and paprika.
- Stir in broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and return oxtails to the pot. Simmer gently, about 3 to 4 hours, until tender and oxtail reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Add okra and hot pepper flakes and simmer until the okra is tender, about 10 minutes (less time if using frozen okra).
- Season the stew with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve with white rice, boiled potatoes or buttered noodles, if desired.
Should I brown the oxtails prior to cooking?
You don’t have to brown your oxtails before cooking, but it does help to bring out their delicious flavors. Browning involves searing the outer part of the oxtails in a hot skillet or pot. The searing process will not cook the meat all the way through, but it will enhance the flavor, color, and aroma.
Why are my oxtails greasy?
Oxtails typically have high-fat content, and as you cook the meat, this fat will melt and turn into a layer of oil that floats over the dish. If you want to make our Southern Oxtail Soup recipe without worrying about excess grease, trim as much fat as you can from the oxtail before cooking.
Starting with this step will reduce the amount of grease the oxtails will release during cooking. If you still have excess fat floating over your dish after cooking, skim it off with a spoon or use a fat separator to separate the fat from the cooking stock. If making ahead, remove solidified fat from surface before reheating.
What goes well with oxtail stew?
You can enjoy our Southern Oxtail Stew recipe with several other sides. We recommend pairing it with warm tortillas, rice, beans, bolillo rolls, potatoes or fideo. You can even shred the tender meat and use in tacos.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.