Salsa Roja Beef Sopes
Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue
- 45 mins Prep Time
- 3 1/2 hrs Cook Time
- 10 Servings
- 1 package Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (about 4 pounds)
- ½ white onion
- 2 dried guajillo chile peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground guajillo chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1½ cups masa harina½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced avocado
- Salsa roja
- Crumbled cotija cheese.
- Combine beef tongue, onion, dried chile peppers, bay leaf, and oregano in a stock pot. Add water to completely cover the tongue. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 3 hours until tongue is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Remove tongue and cool slightly. Peel off outer layer and trim fat. Chop into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, shaking the pan while cooking. Add chopped tongue, ground chile pepper and salt. Cook for 5 minutes until tongue has a warm rich color and is lightly browned Keep warm.
- For sopes: Combine masa harina and salt in a bowl. Add warm water and olive oil. Using your hands, knead dough until fully blended. If dough seems dry, add a small amount of water. If dough seems sticky, add more masa harina. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll each into a ball. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat comal or heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- To form each sope, place1 dough ball in a tortilla press between 2 pieces of plastic and press into a ¼-inch thick 4-inch round tortilla. (Or use a glass pie plate lined with plastic to press dough into tortillas.)
- Place tortilla on comal or skillet and cook for 45 seconds, turn, and cook another 45 seconds, then turn and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with spatula, and cool 30 seconds. Using your fingers, pinch outer edges of warm tortilla forming a rim. Cover sope with towel and repeat process with remaining dough.
- To serve sopes: Heat oil in deep skillet on medium-high heat. Working in several batches, fry sopes for 2 minutes, turning frequently, until golden and lightly crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Spoon chopped tongue in each warm sope. Top each with shredded lettuce, diced avocado, salsa roja, and crumbled cotija cheese. Arrange on a serving plate.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.