- Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (1 package)
- 2¼ cups vegetable or meat broth (or water)
- 2¼ cups water
- 3 medium onions
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- Chilean kneeled-down bread, or any other type of bread (ideally for sandwich)
- Butter, to toast bread
- 7 ounces buttery cheese (Havarti recommended)
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Chili paste or any hot sauce
- Sliced onions, for garnish
- In a pot, place beef tongue, 1 onion (cut in 4 pieces), carrot, broth and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2½ hours, or until tender and internal temperature of beef tongue reaches 160ºF. If using pressure cooker, reduce cooking time to 45 minutes.
- Remove tongue, cool slightly and remove the skin that covers it. Cut tongue into thin slices. Set aside.
- Julienne-cut 2 remaining onions. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onions and fry for 5 to 8 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally Add sugar, if desired. Set aside.
- To prepare each sandwich: Heat butter in a frying pan; add 2 slices of bread and toast on both sides. In another frying pan, heat 2 slices of cheese briefly to melt over medium heat.
- Working quickly, spread mayonnaise on bottom slice of toast, top with slices of beef tongue, chili paste, melted cheese and sliced onion. Close sandwich with top slice of toast. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.