Back to all recipes
Red Chile Braised Beef Shanks
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 3 hours | Serves: 4 to 6
- Rumba® Beef Hind Shank (2 packages (4 shanks))
- 4 cups water
- 12 guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded
- 4 chile de arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ white onion, cut into large pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil or lard
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat water in stockpot until boiling; remove from heat. Add guajillo chiles, chile de arbol chiles, garlic and onion, cover and let sit for 30 minutes or until peppers are hydrated.
- Transfer strained chile peppers, garlic and onions mixture to blender, add chicken broth and blend until smooth. Strain chile sauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet; add chile sauce, oregano, cumin and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings. Reserve sauce.
- Season beef shanks with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat; add beef shanks and brown on both sides.
- Add 1 cup red chile sauce, cover the pot and transfer to oven. Braise until meat is tender, about 2½ to 3 hours.
- Serve braised beef shanks topped with remaining red chile sauce.
- Accompany with Mexican rice, black beans and salad, if desired.
- For red chile braised beef tacos; slice or shred beef shank meat and layer on warm corn tortillas with red chile sauce, pickled red onions and crumbled cotija cheese.