Back to all recipes
Sonia’s Caldo de Res (Mexican-Style Beef Soup)
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours | Serves: 6 to 8
To see Sonia’s original blog post, please visit http://pinaenlacocina.com/2016/01/25/caldo-de-resits-a-sunday-thing-mexican-style-beef-soup/.
- Rumba® Beef Hind Shank (2 1/2 to 3 lbs.)
- 4 to 6 Rumba® marrow bones
- 1/2 large white onion left whole; dice the other half and set aside
- 1 head garlic; mince 3 cloves and set aside
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Seasoning Sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 2 to 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large chayote, sliced into wedges
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, sliced into chunks
- 2 ears of corn, sliced
- 1 summer squash, zucchini or calabacita, sliced
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, sliced into chunks
- Handful of cilantro
- 8 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 8 to 10 serrano peppers, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Serrano salsa directions: Add serranos, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to blender. Blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add beef shanks to 3 cups of water, seasoning with salt as you layer shanks in the pot. Add bone marrow, ½ (whole piece) onion, head of garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and 1/3 of celery. Set aside the remaining onion, garlic and celery for later. Add enough water that level is 1/2 inch below maximum fill line. Secure the lid and lock. Turn heat to high.
- Once the safety valve locks and the pressure release valve begins to hiss and rotate, turn heat to low. Set timer for 1 hour.
- After 40 minutes, add 8 cups of water to a large soup pot. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add carrots, chayote, celery, diced onion, minced garlic and tomatoes. Cook 10 minutes.
- Beef should be done around this time. Turn off heat and wait for safety valve to unlock. Once it unlocks, carefully remove the lid. Remove all beef (discarding excess fat) and transfer to simmering soup. Strain the solids from beef stock and discard. Skim the fat from the top of stock. Add remaining beef stock to soup pot.
- Add potatoes to simmering soup. After 10 minutes, add corn. Wait another 10 minutes and add squash, cabbage and cilantro. Cook for ten minutes. Remove from heat. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with serrano salsa, lemon (or lime) and fresh cilantro if desired. Serve with warm corn tortillas and rice. Spread the bone marrow on the warm tortilla with serrano salsa, lemon and salt.