Back to all recipes
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes | Serves: 6 servings
- Rumba® Beef Honeycomb Tripe (3 lbs. )
- Rumba® Beef Feet (1 package, optional)
- 2 limes
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 quarts water
- 2 cans (15 ounces) ready-cooked white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 small sprigs mint
- Salt, to taste
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup mint, finely chopped (or just the leaves)
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- 2-3 serrano peppers, finely sliced
- 3 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- Piquín peppers, freshly crushed (optional)
- Warm corn tortillas or French bread
- Drain and rinse tripe; place in large pot or bowl. Squeeze lime juice over tripe, and fill pot with water. Let tripe soak in lime juice and water solution for 5 minutes; drain and rinse again. This step will help eliminate any unpleasant odor from tripe.
- Drain and rinse again; pat dry with paper towels cut into 2-inch pieces. Place tripe pieces, onion, garlic and bay leaf in large pot, fill with water and cover with lid.
- Bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim off foam that forms on top after a few minutes. Partially cover pot, reducing heat to medium-low, and gently simmer for about 2 hours. If adding beef feet, remove from pot as soon as cooked. Once beef feet are cool enough to handle, chop meaty parts, discard bones, then return meat to pot.
- Add drained and rinsed white hominy and sprig of mint. Continue cooking for about another ½ hour. Add salt as needed. Note: Adding granulated chicken bouillon instead of salt will add more flavor to broth.
- Serve soup in bowls; pass garnishes around table.