- Rumba® Beef Honeycomb Tripe (3 pounds)
- Rumba® Beef Feet (1 package, optional)
- 2 limes
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 quarts water
- 2 cans (15 ounces) ready-cooked white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 small sprigs mint
- Salt, to taste
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- 2-3 serrano peppers, finely sliced
- 3 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- Piquín peppers, freshly crushed (optional)
- Warm corn tortillas or French bread
- Drain and rinse beef honeycomb tripe; place in a large pot or bowl. Squeeze lime juice over tripe, and fill pot with water. Let tripe soak in lime juice and water solution for 5 minutes; drain and rinse again. This step will help eliminate any unpleasant odor from tripe.
- Drain and rinse honeycomb tripe again; pat dry with paper towels and cut into 2-inch pieces. Place tripe pieces, onion, garlic and bay leaf in large pot. Add beef feet and water to cover.
- Cover and bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim off foam that forms on top after a few minutes. Partially cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and gently simmer for about 2 hours until honeycomb tripe is tender and internal temperature reaches 160ºF. If adding beef feet, remove from pot when fully cooked and internal temperature reaches 160ºF. Once beef feet are cool enough to handle, chop meaty parts, discard bones, then return meat to pot.
- Stir in hominy and mint sprigs. Continue cooking for ½ hour. Season with salt. (Adding granulated chicken bouillon instead of salt will add more flavor to broth.)
- Serve soup in bowls; pass garnishes around table.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.