Shredded Beef Cheek Barbacoa from @isabeleats
Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat
- 15 minutes Prep Time
- 4 hrs, 30 mins Cook Time
- 8 Servings
Shredded Beef Cheek Barbacoa
- Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat (2 packages, fat trimmed and sinew removed)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces Mexican pilsner beer (or broth)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 3 pasilla peppers, rinsed and stemmed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 bay leaves
- Season the beef cheeks generously with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil in large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sear on both sides until browned. Transfer the meat to a large plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beer, broth, liquid smoke, pasilla peppers, Mexican oregano, and bay leaves.
- Add in the seared beef cheeks and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 4 hours until fall apart tender.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a serving bowl and shred with two forks.
- Carefully pour the remaining cooking liquid from the Dutch oven or pot into a large blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended sauce into the serving bowl with the meat. Stir in the lime juice, taste, and season with more salt if needed.
- Serve the barbacoa in tacos, quesadillas, tortas, on tostadas, or over Mexican rice.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.