Oxtail, Rice and Vegetable Soup
Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
- 4 Servings
Original Blog & Recipe by
I'm Erica and I was born and raised in Medellin, Colombia, and now live in the northeastern U.S. with my family. Having a desire to stay connected with my culture and food, in 2009, I created My Colombian Recipes, a recipe blog consisting of Colombian recipes and many other great tasting Latin-American dishes. Rumba Meats is a great source for hard-to-find meat cuts and I love to make my family traditional recipes using their products.
Oxtail, Rice and Vegetable Soup
Food is one of the greatest sources of homesickness for those of us not living in our home-countries or home-states. Even if you love everything else about your new home, you likely still miss some of your favorite foods, that you can only get at ‘home’. The meals that I miss most are Colombian soups. Whenever I’m homesick or not feeling well for some reason, I always crave a traditional Colombian soup. To me, it’s very comforting to eat a warm and hearty bowl of soup and it always hits the spot, making me feel at home.
My grandmother made this Oxtail, Rice and Vegetable Soup when I was growing up, but as a kid I hated soups and certainly didn’t want to eat oxtail! But when Rumba meats invited me to participate in their soup campaign, I decided to make my grandmother’s recipe using oxtails from Rumba meats. This soup is very simple to make, but it requires a couple of hours on the stove, so I recommend having everything ready the day before and start cooking early in the morning.
I served my Oxtail, Rice and Vegetable Soup with avocado and lime wedges. The broth was rich and full of flavor! If you have never tried oxtails, why not try this soup, or my Sancocho de Cola (Oxtail Sancocho)? I think you are going to be surprised just how tasty it is and fall in love with this cut of meat.
- Place 1/4 cup of water, onion, scallion, ground cumin and garlic in the blender and blend until well combined.
- Remove excess fat from the oxtails. Rinse the oxtail pieces well with cold water. Place in a large pot and cover with the water. Add the onion mixture, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then cover the pot and lower the heat to medium and let it cook for about 2 hours or until the oxtails are tender. Check the water level during cooking and add a more if necessary.
- Add the carrots, peas and green beans. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the rice and continue simmering for 15 minutes more or until the rice is tender. Add the fresh cilantro and serve.
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 to 3 pounds Rumba® Meats oxtails
- ¾ cup rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 scallions, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 cups water, more if necessary
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup green beans, cut into bite size
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender, add onions, scallions, cumin, garlic and ¼ cup water. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove excess fat from oxtails. Rinse well with cold water.
- Place oxtails in a large stockpot and cover with the water. Add onion mixture and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, cover and cook for 2 hours until oxtails are tender and reach an internal temperature of 160ºF. Check the water level during cooking and add additional water if necessary.
- Add the carrots, peas and green beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the rice and continue simmering for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add fresh cilantro and serve.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.