Oxtail Stew Recipe
Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
- 4 Servings
Original Blog & Recipe by
Lynda Segovia Thorn
Hi, I'm Lynda Segovia Thorn, wife and mother. Originally from Texas, I now reside in California and teach SpEd students while blogging about food, familia and travel. By making my children the same meals my Mom made me, I can share our proud Mexican heritage with them. As the mother of multicultural kids, it's important to me that they know where they came from - Rumba Meats helps make that possible.
Oxtail Stew Recipe
My Mom used to make beef stew for us every winter. As a youngster, I didn’t care for it much, too many veggies. As I got a little older; I developed a taste for it & actually looked forward to eating it. She’d put in lots of potatoes & carrots, bay leaves & big chunks of meat. That beef stew would fill me up & warm my belly on a chilly winter’s night. I didn’t know it back then, but making that stew was my Mom’s way of showing us how much she loved & cared for us.
Like my Mother, I like to prepare hearty meals for my familia tambien. I made Oxtail (Beef) Stew, (called “Guisado del Rabo de Buey” in Spanish) for my family tonight & I thought it’d be the perfect dish to share with y’all. First, you’ll need to purchase some quality Oxtails. Rumba Meats is the brand I turn to.
A quick trip to my neighborhood Lucky’s Supermarket is all I have to do to find the cuts of meat I need. Not only is Lucky’s carrying Rumba Meats, you can find it at FoodMaxx & Save Marts too. This is great news for those of us who like to make Menudo, Lengua, Tripas, & all the other delicious Mexican dishes we grew up eating.
Now for the good stuff- let’s get to cooking! Dice your veggies & have them ready. You’ll need 3-4 lbs of Rumba Meats Oxtails. Rinse them off & trim any visible fat. Here’s the recipe:
- Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails (1 package)
- 3-4 Oxtail
- 4 carrots sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 1 cup of red wine (I used a $3 bottle of red wine - no need to splurge)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Flour, as needed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Serve as is or over rice. Be sure to have a few corn tortillas on the side too!
- Season beef oxtails with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour to coat, shake off excess.
- In large heavy pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat (not smoking). Add oxtails and sear until brown, about 1 minute per side. Remove oxtails from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, red pepper, leek, tomatoes and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add carrots, bay leaves, ginger and cloves and saute 2 minutes.
- Add oxtails back to pan. Stir in beef stock and wine. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 3 hours until oxtails are tender and internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- Enjoy your meal!
- Add the carrots, bay leaves, ground ginger, & cloves and saute 2 minutes
- Add the Rumba Meats Oxtail back into the pan then add wine and beef stock
- Bring to a boil- cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer
- Cook for 3 hours
- Meat should be soft & tender at the end of three hours- Enjoy your meal!
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.