Huaraches de Lengua y Cheek
A twist to a traditional Mexican dish
- Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (2 packages)
- 1 package Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat
- 2 whole oranges
- ½ white onion
- 5-6 garlic ears
- 2 tbsp salt
- 5 cups of water (or enough to cover meat)
- 4 cups of dry pinto beans soaked overnight
- 1 white onion ½ for cooking beans and ½ for frying beans
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 2 tbs salt (one while cooking beans and the other for frying beans)
- 5 cups of water or 4 inches above beans
- 4 tbs cooking oil
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 4 cups of masa
- 1 tbs salt
- 3.5 cups of warm water
- Sour cream
- Mexican fresh cheese
- Salsa verde
- Place all meat ingredients in an instant pot for 2 hours on pressure cook or until tender making sure to squeeze oranges in the pot before adding the skins. Once cooked, remove tongue and peel off top layer and chop all ingredients. Salt to taste.
- Place all bean ingredients in another instant pot and cook for 1 hour or until soft
- Once beans are cooked, heat a large pan with oil, add the other ½ onion in thin slices along with jalapeno in oil and cook for about 2-3 min. Slowly add your beans with a ladle. Smash your beans and add bean broth to reach a creamy consistency, allow to cool off, and add salt to taste.
- In a large bowl add your dry masa, salt and slowly add the warm water. Mix by hand for 5 min or until it doesn't stick to your hands. If you press on the masa and it cracks, it needs more water. Place in a bowl to rest with a moist towel on top to keep masa ready.
- To make the huaraches simply grab a small ball of masa in your hands, make a small hole in the middle of the masa and fill it with beans. Your beans should not be runny. Cover over with masa, make a log between your hands and press with a tortilla press. The shape should be long like a huarache (sandal shape) . Cook on a griddle until both sides are cooked and place a side.
- To prepare, grab the cooked masa huarache, spread sour cream, add your Rumba Meat on top, add lettuce, avocado, salsa verde and fresh cheese. Enjoy!!
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.