Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
- 25 min Prep Time
- 3 hrs Cook Time
- 12 Servings
- 1 package Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtail (about 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasonings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup sofrito cooking base
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green plantains
- Canola oil for frying
- 1½ cups guacamole
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Hot sauce, as needed (optional)
- Season beef oxtail evenly with adobo seasoning. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add oxtails and brown evenly for 8 to 12 minutes., turning occasionally.
- Add sofrito cooking base, water, and bay leaf and stir to blend. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and slow cook for 2½ to 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until oxtail is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove oxtail from stock, pull meat off the bones and shred with 2 forks. (Reserve stock for another recipe.)
- While oxtail is braising, make tostones rellenos. Slice the ends off each plantain, carefully slice the peel lengthwise from top to bottom without cutting into the plantain and peel. Slice each peeled plantain into 4 pieces. Heat oil in a deep skillet or heavy-bottomed pot until shimmering. Fry plantain slices until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Using a tostonera lined on the top and bottom with plastic, smash each fried plantain slice into a cup shape. If you don’t have a tostonera, smash plantains with a glass pie pan or flat-bottomed plate and then hand shape into small cups. Working in several small batches, fry plantain cups in hot oil for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels.
- Fill plantain cups evenly with guacamole and shredded beef. Top with crumbled cheese.
- Arrange on a platter for serving. Top each with a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.