Mole de Olla de Mely
To see Mely’s original blog post, please visit http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2016/01/mole-de-olla-recipe-receta.html.
Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
prep time: 00:20:00 cook time: 02:00:00
- 20 MIN Prep Time
- 2 HRS Cook Time
- 4-6 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails (1.5 pounds)
- 1.5 pounds Rumba® beef shank
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ancho peppers, cleaned and deveined
- 3 pasilla peppers, cleaned and deveined
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 1 medium tomato (about 6 oz.)
- 2 epazote sprigs or 1 tablespoons of dried epazote
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ears of corn, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 chayote, quartered
- 3 small or 1 large carrot, cut into large pieces, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches each
- 3 xoconostles, peeled, cut into thick slices with seeds removed
- 2 small potatoes (optional)
- 2 small squashes, quartered
- 6 oz. green beans
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced or chopped
- 4-6 lime wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh epazote, finely chopped (optional)
- Rinse beef oxtails and shanks and pat dry. Place the meat, onion, garlic and bay leaves in a large stockpot. Cover with 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Use a slotted spoon to remove any foam. Cook about 1½ to 2 hours until oxtails and shanks are tender and internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- While meat is cooking, prepare the sauce. Fill a small pot with 2 cups hot water and set aside. Slightly roast peppers on a hot griddle, turning once. Roast only a few seconds per side. Place the roasted peppers in the hot water for 15 minutes.
- Roast tomato, garlic and onion on hot griddle. Garlic won't take long, so remove promptly. Remove peel and place roasted garlic in blender. Once the tomato and onion are roasted, place into blender. Remove softened peppers from water and add to blender with 1 cup of the soaking water from pot. Puree until sauce is smooth. Set aside.
- To cook vegetables: In a medium saucepan, add corn to 3 cups of water and cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add xoconostle, chayote and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes, squash and green beans and cook for 4 additional minutes.
- Remove garlic, onion and bay leaf from soup pot with oxtails and shanks. Add the sauce and epazote sprigs, stir, and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in cooked vegetables and simmer for 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into large bowls with some portions of meat, corn, carrots, chayote, xoconostle, squash, potato and green beans.
- Garnish with chopped onion, cilantro, serrano peppers, epazote and lime juice. Serve with warm corn tortillas, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.