Back to all recipes
Mole de Olla de Melly
Prep Time: | Cook Time: | Serves: 4 to 6
To see Mely's original blog post, please visit http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2016/01/mole-de-olla-recipe-receta.html.
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (1.5 lbs.)
- 1.5 pounds Rumba® beef shank
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ancho peppers, cleaned and deveined
- 3 pasilla peppers, cleaned and deveined
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 1 medium tomato (about 6 oz.)
- 2 epazote sprigs or 1 tablespoons of dried epazote
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ears of corn, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 chayote, quartered
- 3 small or 1 large carrot, cut into large pieces, about 1 - 1 1/2 inches each
- 3 xoconostles, peeled, cut into thick slices with seeds removed
- 2 small potatoes (optional)
- 2 small squashes, quartered
- 6 oz. green beans
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced or chopped
- 4-6 lime wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh epazote, finely chopped (optional)
- Rinse meat and pat dry. Place the meat, onion, garlic and bay leaves in a large stockpot. Cover with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer gently. Use a slotted spoon to remove any foam. Cook about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- While meat is cooking, prepare sauce. Fill a small pot with 2 cups of hot water and set aside. Slightly roast peppers on a hot griddle, turning once. Roast only a few seconds per side. Place the roasted peppers in the hot water pot for 15 minutes.
- Roast tomato, garlic and onion on hot griddle. Garlic won't take long, so remove promptly. Remove peel and place in blender pitcher. Once the tomato and onion are roasted, place them into blender pitcher. Remove softened peppers from water and add them to the blender with a cup of the the soaking water from pot. Puree until sauce is smooth. Set aside.
- To cook vegetables: In a medium saucepan, add corn to 3 cups of water and cook over medium-high heat. In 8-10 minutes, add the xoconostle, chayote and carrots. About 3 minutes after, add the potatoes (if using) and finally the squash and green beans to cook for 4 additional minutes.
- When meat is cooked and tender, remove the garlic, onion and bay leaf. Add the sauce and the epazote sprigs, stir, and keep simmering for 8 minutes. Add the vegetables and stir well. Let simmer for 6 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into large bowls with some portions of meat, corn, carrots, chayote, xoconostle, squash, potato and green beans. Garnish with chopped onion, cilantro, epazote and lime juice. Serve with warm corn tortillas.