Back to all recipes
Rabo de Toro Encendido
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 4-5 servings
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (3 lbs. )
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups tomato sauce or 3 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into ½-inch strips
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Clean oxtail; minimally trim excess fat with paring knife. Some fat is good – it will render and add flavor to the sauce.
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, season oxtail with salt. Add olive oil to Dutch oven and heat on low.
- Add oxtail; raise heat to medium and brown for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, red wine vinegar and remaining dried ingredients, including onion and garlic. Stir gently, and continue cooking over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add red wine and bell pepper. Stir and close Dutch oven. Cook for an additional 35 to 40 minutes over low to medium heat or until oxtail is tender and appears to fall off bone.
- When done, turn off heat, keeping lid on. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes. When ready to serve, gently stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.