Rabo de Toro Encendido
Recipe courtesy of Bren Herrera with House of Bren
Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 00:30:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 30 MIN Cook Time
- 4-5 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails (3 pounds)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups tomato sauce or 3 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into ½-inch strips
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Clean beef oxtails; minimally trim excess fat with paring knife. (Some fat is good; it will render and add flavor to the sauce.) Season with salt
- Add oil to a 6-quart Dutch oven and heat on low. Add oxtail and brown evenly over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, red pepper, cumin, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in red wine and bell pepper. Cover and cook for 35 to 40 minutes over low to medium heat until oxtails are tender and internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- Turn off heat, and let sit covered for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When ready to serve, gently stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.