Back to all recipes
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 1+ hours | Serves: 12-16
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (1 package)
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 12 peppercorns
- 16 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato, liquefied
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided
- ¾ pound cassava, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 corn cobs, cut in 4 each
- 1 pound potatoes
- ¾ pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a large pot add leeks, celery stalks, peppercorns, water and the oxtail. Cover and cook on high heat for 1 hour. Remove the oxtail and reserve.
- Strain the broth, let cool and refrigerate. Once the fat has solidified, remove it and discard. Once the meat has cooled, remove the fat and cut it into pieces. Reserve. In a large pot, heat the broth over medium heat.
- To make the sofrito, in a pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add bell pepper and tomato, and cook for 5 more minutes. Add sofrito and half of the cilantro to the pot with the broth, and bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the broth again and return to the pot. Discard any solids.
- Add oxtail, salt and remaining cilantro, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the broth is boiling, add cassava and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 3 more minutes. Add corn on the cob pieces, celery roots and butternut squash and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt if necessary. Serve hot with a little fresh coriander.