- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (1 package)
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 12 peppercorns
- 16 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided
- ¾ pound cassava, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ears corn, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot, add beef oxtails, leeks, celery, peppercorns and water. Cover and cook on high heat for 1 hour, or until oxtails are tender and reach an internal temperature of 160ºF. Remove oxtails and cool; remove fat and cut meat into pieces. Set aside.
- Strain the broth and refrigerate. Once the fat has solidified, remove and discard. In a large pot, heat the broth over medium heat.
- To make the sofrito: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in bell pepper and tomato and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sofrito and half of the cilantro to simmering broth. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the broth again and return to the pot. Discard any solids.
- Add oxtails, sea salt and remaining cilantro. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the broth is boiling, add cassava and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 3 more minutes. Add corn on the cob pieces, celery roots and butternut squash and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season oxtail soup with salt if necessary. Serve hot topped with cilantro.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.