Lengua En Chile Colorado
Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue
- 25 mins Prep Time
- 8 1/2 hr Cook Time
- 6 Servings
- 1 package Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (about 4 pounds)
- ½ white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Chile Colorado Salsa:
- 10 dried chiles Colorado or guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 1 ancho chile, stem and seeds removed
- 1 chile arbol, stem and seeds removed
- 1 Roma tomato, halved
- ½ white onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Recommended sides: white rice, black beans, corn tortillas
- Combine beef tongue, onion, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and salt in a slow cooker. Add water to cover tongue and cook on low for 8 hours until tongue is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove tongue and cool slightly. Peel off the thick outer layer of tongue and trim fat. Cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Reserve cooking stock.
- To prepare chile Colorado salsa: Heat a comal or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Working in several smaller batches, toast chiles briefly, about 30 to 60 seconds. Place toasted chiles in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes to soften peppers.
- Add tomato, onion, and garlic to hot comal and cook over medium-high heat until lightly charred, about 5 minutes, turning frequently
- Transfer drained chiles, tomato, onion, garlic, and salt to a blender. Add 2 cups reserved cooking stock and blend until sauce is smooth. Strain sauce, if needed.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat, add oil and heat. Add the flour, cumin, oregano, and salt. Stir continually until golden, about 2 minutes. Add chile sauce and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes until bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Add diced tongue, and 2 cups cooking stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until sauce has thickened to desired consistency, stirring frequently. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with white rice, black beans, and warm tortillas, if desired.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.