Caldo de Pata
Rumba Meats® Beef Feet
prep time: 00:15:00 cook time: 00:40:00
- 15 MIN Prep Time
- 40 MIN Cook Time
- 6-8 Servings
- Rumba Meats® Beef Feet (1 package, cooked)
- Rumba® Honeycomb Tripe (1 package, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 onion, halved, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large green pepper
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1½ tablespoons achiote
- 1 large green plantain, sliced
- 2 ounces (1/3 cup) relajo spices
- 1 celery stock, chopped
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 1 lb. yuca, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 chayote, cut into chunks
- ½ large green cabbage, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 ears corn, husked and cut into 3 pieces
- Garnishes: Minced cilantro, minced onion, limes and tortillas
- For beef feet: In a pot, combine beef feet, 1 celery stick, ½ onion, 2 garlic cloves, salt to taste and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours, or until tender and beef feet reach an internal temperature of 160ºF. Strain and reserved broth, if desired.
- For honeycomb tripe: In a pot, combine honeycomb tripe, remaining 1 celery stick, remaining ½ onion, 2 garlic cloves, salt to taste and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hours until tender and honeycomb tripe reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF. Remove tripe, cool and slice into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Strain and reserve broth for another recipe.
- Meanwhile, toast relajo on skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sesame seeds are golden-brown. Remove from heat. Place relajo in blender with tomatoes, remaining chopped celery, green pepper, chopped onion, garlic, green plantain and 2 cups water. Blend until very smooth. Strain sauce and set aside.
- Place cooked beef feet and honeycomb tripe in a large pot, cover with water (or reserved broth) and bring to a boil.
- Add strained sauce, achiote, pepper, cilantro, mint, yucca and corn. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add carrots, chayote and cabbage. Cook for an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve soup in large bowls. Serve with chopped cilantro and onion, corn tortillas and lime wedges, if desired.
- To make this recipe easier to prepare, cook honeycomb tripe and beef feet the night before.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.