Back to all recipes
Caldo de Pata
prep time: 00:15:00 | cook time: 00:40:00
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Serves: 6-8 servings
- Rumba® Beef Feet (1 package, cooked )
- Rumba® Honeycomb Tripe (1 package, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 14 cups water (or stock from cooked beef feet or tripe)
- 2 medium onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 large green pepper
- 4 large Roma tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons achiote
- 1 large green plantain
- 2 ounces relajo spices*
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 1 small bunch mint
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 1 lb. yucca, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 chayote, cut into chunks
- ½ large green cabbage, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 ears corn, husked and cut into 3 pieces
- Garnishes: Minced cilantro, minced onion, limes and tortillas
- Before making soup, cook tripe and beef feet. Simmer tripe with one celery stick, ½ onion, 2 garlic cloves and salt to taste. Cook for about 1½ hours or until tripe is soft.
- For beef feet, follow the same instructions – but place in separate pot due to longer cooking time. Cook beef feet for about 3 hours or until tender.
- Once tripe and beef feet are cooked, make the soup. To make this recipe easier, cook tripe and beef feet the night before.
- To prepare sauce, toast relajo on skillet over medium heat. When sesame seeds turn golden-brown, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place relajo in blender with tomatoes, 1 celery stick, green pepper, 1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic, green plantain and 2 cups water. Blend until very smooth.
- Place cooked tripe and beef feet in large pot and cover with water or stock. Bring to a boil.
- Strain sauce and pour into pot. Simmer broth and season with achiote, pepper and salt to taste. Add cilantro, mint, yucca and corn. Cook for 20 minutes; add remaining vegetables and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve soup in large bowls and sprinkle with cilantro and onion. Don’t forget corn tortillas and lime!