Tongue a la Vinaigrette
Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue
- 5 Servings
Original Blog & Recipe by
A mother of three, Romina Tibytt is a Latina blogger who has lived in the United States for more than 10 years. One of the first Latinas to create a blog in Spanish for the Hispanic community in the USA, she founded MamaXXI.com in 2009 and since then, she has worked passionately and tirelessly on different sites and social networks as a content creator. Winner of the 2016 TECLA Awards for Best Content Creator in the Spanish Language.
Tongue a la Vinaigrette
There are some dishes that inevitably take me back to my country, Argentina. One of them is Tongue a la Vinaigrette. This is a dish I don’t eat very often since it’s not the custom here, but I like to do it every once in a while to give me a little pleasure – plus, everyone at home likes it. My grandmother made the best Tongue a la Vinaigrette in the world and the smell of the vinegar with garlic and parsley, it’s so delicious!
Although the name may seem a little strange, I recommend you take the chance and try the recipe! It’s a very rich dish. Exotic? Maybe. And traditional from my country. But you have to try it. The recipe I bring to you is simple and it is one idea of a perfect dish to enjoy for games. Why? Because it is a cold dish, it can be prepared a day or two beforehand, and can go with other snacks, appetizers or cold dishes as you prefer. This way, you don’t have to work so hard in the kitchen on the day of your team’s game and you can enjoy it with your family, without complications – while you are eating something so rich!!
I prepared this recipe with Beef Tongue from Rumba Meats, which offers specialized ingredients that are available at my local grocery stores and that celebrate the values that are linked to my heritage. The meats from Rumba Meats are of the highest quality. Their products have a long shelf-life and they are easy to store or freeze.
The next time you go to the supermarket to buy products you need for a game get-together and make your favorite selection: include the ingredients from the recipe below – you will not stop preparing this delicacy! Won’t you thank me for the idea later????
- Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (1 package)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped parsley (heaping)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- salt, red pepper, paprika and ground pepper, to taste
- Boil the tongue in broth for 2 hours. Poke with a fork to see if it is tender, and remove from heat.
- Let it cool in the same broth, so the skin on the tongue gets clear. When the broth is lukewarm, remove the tongue and take off the skin and fat. Salt lightly.
- Let it cool in the refrigerator to be able to fillet it, because it will mush if it’s hot.
- Once it is cold, remove it and fillet it as finely as possible. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the chopped parsley, minced cloves of garlic, salt, red pepper, paprika and ground pepper to taste in a bowl, and finally the liquids, i.e., the oil and vinegar.
- Stir this mixture really well. On the platter you will present the tongue, place a layer of the filleted tongue, then cover with a spoonful of the mixed liquid, then another layer of the tongue on top of that, and so on until the tongue is all there.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap so the smell does not fill the refrigerator and penetrate the other foods.
- It’s ideal to prepare 4 or 5 days before eating, so the garlic and all the other ingredients boost the flavor.
- Serve with slices of French or Italian bread. One idea is to moisten the bread with oil (so delicious!) or toast the bread slices. However you like it most.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.