Slow Cooker Lengua – Recipe courtesy from Tex-Mex Slow Cooker
Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue
- 4-6 Servings
Original Blog & Recipe by
Hi, I'm Vianney Rodriquez, founder, recipe developer and South Texas foodie behind Sweet Life. The recipes on Sweet Life are inspired by my exploration of childhood memories and the global food culture that makes up South Texas. Sharing time in the kitchen with my daughters ensures that the traditions of my family in Mexico are passed down to the next generation. I can always count on Rumba Meats to provide me the highest quality cuts of meat.
Slow Cooker Lengua
Tacos de lengua, a beloved south Texas treat, can be found on the menus of practically every restaurant from San Antonio to Brownsville. Lengua made in the in the Slow Cooker is my favorite Sunday morning breakfast go-to meal to enjoy with family and friends. Cooked low and slow seasoned with onion, garlic and bay leaves the lengua (beef tongue) results are juicy and tender.
I used to make my lengua in the oven or stove-top, but after experimenting with the slow cooker for my cookbook I found cooking the lengua in the slow cooker results are much more flavorful and require no babysitting on my part. I can add my tongue, cook on slow and low, then easily remove the skin before my guests arrive. This recipe is from my new cookbook, Tex-Mex Slow Cooker.
When Rumba meats asked me to help them share how easy it is to order directly from Amazon to receive Rumba meats at home, I was more than happy to share this great delivery option.
I’m always planning my next Sunday brunch, and the option to have Rumba meats delivered directly to my doorstep has me giddy with excitement. There is nothing I hate more than driving from store to store in search of ingredients I need to make my meals. I often find my local grocery stores cannot keep up with the demand for specialty cuts of meats I use to create my meals.
And for me with my large family I need at least 4 to 5 lenguas – so I’m left to drive to multiple grocery stores looking for additional lenguas. Now I can quickly go online, place my order and they arrive to my doorstep, winning.
- Rumba Meats® Beef Tongue (1 package (3-4 pounds))
- 1 onion, skin removed and halved
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Warm flour tortillas, diced radishes, chopped fresh cilantro, and lime wedges, for serving
Photo credit: Jason David Page
- Thoroughly rinse the beef tongue and place it in a slow cooker with the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the meat is tender when pierced with a knife.
- Carefully remove the meat from the slow cooker
- With a paring knife, remove and discard the skin and cut the meat into small dice.
- Return the meat to the slow cooker and reduce the setting to warm.
- Serve warm with the tortillas, radishes, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.