Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails
prep time: cook time:
- 30 minutes Prep Time
- 3 hours Cook Time
- 18-20 Servings
Original Blog & Recipe by
Hola! I share cherished family Mexican recipes and embrace my culture through food, fiestas, and family life.
- Rumba Meats® Beef Oxtails (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1½ pounds Beef Shank (Rumba Meats), trim bone and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 20 cups water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 small red potatoes, 1-inch pieces (leave skins on)
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- ½ large green cabbage (remove center and outer layer), chop 2-inch squares
- 3 corn on the cob (fresh or frozen), cut in 2-inch pieces
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped (large pieces)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons safflower petals (azafran), optional
- Handful cilantro
- Bring water with salt and garlic to boil in large stockpot. Divide ingredients into two large pots if needed.
- Add onion, oxtails, shanks and bones; boil, lower to slow simmer and cover and cook for 2 ½ hours.
- Add all vegetables, raise heat to bring to a boil, then lower heat to a low simmer and cover for 30 minutes.
- Add pepper, coriander, asafran (if using) and cilantro, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Taste for salt, and add more salt if needed.
- Serve soup with lime wedges and salsa casera, and bone marrow slathered in a warm corn tortilla with a sprinkle of salt.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.