Beef Barbacoa Torta Recipe
Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat
prep time: cook time:
- 4-6 Servings
Original Blog & Recipe by
Lynda Segovia Thorn
Hi, I'm Lynda Segovia Thorn, wife and mother. Originally from Texas, I now reside in California and teach SpEd students while blogging about food, familia and travel. By making my children the same meals my Mom made me, I can share our proud Mexican heritage with them. As the mother of multicultural kids, it's important to me that they know where they came from - Rumba Meats helps make that possible.
Beef Barbacoa Torta Recipe
Growing up, my Mom never missed an opportunity to remind me that I was half Mexican-American. (Yes, I’m biracial.) She loved taking me to Mexican restaurants, and telling me stories about my great grandmother teaching her how to cook. My Mother instilled in me a love of all things Mexican. I’m forever grateful to her for teaching me about my roots.
To celebrate our Hispanic Heritage; I’m sharing a delicious recipe with all of you. As with many of my Mexican food recipes, I rely on Rumba Meats to provide me with the special cuts of meat I need in order to prepare them. Now that I can order Rumba Meats on Amazon, we’re enjoying eating our favorite traditional Mexican meals more frequently.
Have you ever had an authentic Mexican Torta?! A torta is a Mexican sandwich. Today I’m sharing my Beef Barbacoa Torta recipe with you. I use my crockpot for this and it is finger-lickin’ good, the meat practically melts in your mouth! I hope you enjoy it as much as my familia does.
- Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat (1 package)
- 1 pkg Rumba Meats Cachete de Res (Beef Cheekmeat)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups water
- 4-6 bolillo rolls, sliced for sandwiches
- 1 cup refried beans, warm
- 4-6 slices Panela cheese
- 1/2 head lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 2-3 avocados, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Radish, sliced, to garnish
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pickled jalapeños, optional
- Rinse your Rumba Meats Beef Cheek Meat & trim away any visible fat.
- In a crockpot, combine cheekmeat, water, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Set crockpot to high and cook for 4 hours until cheekmeat is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Remove cheekmeat and cool slightly. Shred cheekmeat barbacoa with 2 forks. Keep warm.
- For tortas: On bottom halves of rolls, spread a thin layer of refried beans. Top each evenly with shredded barbacoa, avocado slices and sliced onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On top halves of tortas, layer lettuce, tomato and panela cheese slices. Carefully close tortas.
- Garnish with radish and pickled jalapenos. Enjoy!
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.