Back to all recipes
Guisado de Rabo de Res
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes | Serves: 4 servings
- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (3 lbs. )
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 heads garlic
- 1 whole dry chili (medium)
- 4 leaves laurel
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups water
- Place pieces of oxtail in pot with 3 cups water. Make sure oxtail is covered completely with water; add pinch of salt. Bring water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, chop onion, green pepper and garlic into small pieces. Soak potatoes and carrots in bowl of water to prevent color change.
- Once water comes to a boil, add half chopped onions, half chopped bell pepper, half garlic, one pinch thyme, capers and pepper.
- Cut dry chili in half and place in small container with small amount of water to soften. After 5 minutes, water will turn dark. Reserve water for next step.
- Pour tomato sauce, chili (making sure to remove all seeds) and reserved water into blender. Blend well.
- Heat olive oil in pan. When hot, add remaining onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes; add to stew along with tomato sauce mixture. Cook for one additional hour.
- When stew is almost done cooking (about 1 hour and 15 minutes), remove potatoes and carrots from water and add to stew.
- 15 minutes later, vegetables should be cooked through, meat will be soft, your whole house will be filled with the aroma of oxtail stew and you’ll be ready to enjoy this traditional Guatemalan dish. Serve with white rice or tortillas. Enjoy!