- Rumba® Beef Oxtails (3 pounds)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced, soaked in water to prevent discoloring
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- ½ white onion, chopped, divided
- 1 green pepper, chopped, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 medium-size dried chili pepper, stemmed, seeded, deveined
- 4 leaves laurel (bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups water
- Cut beef oxtails into pieces. Place in a pot with about 3 cups water, making sure oxtail is covered completely with water; add salt. Bring water to a boil.
- Add ¼ cup chopped onions, ½ cup chopped bell pepper, 2 cloves garlic, ½ teaspoon thyme, capers, pepper and bay leaves. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, slice chili in half and place in a small bowl of hot water to soften. After 5 minutes, water will turn dark. Remove softened chili. Reserve steeping water.
- To a blender, add tomato sauce, softened chili and reserved water. Blend well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add remaining chopped onion, chopped green pepper and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add to simmering stew along with tomato sauce mixture.
- Cook for 75 minutes until oxtails are tender and reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
- Vegetables should be cooked through, meat will be soft, your whole house will be filled with the aroma of oxtail stew and you’ll be ready to enjoy this traditional Guatemalan dish.
- Serve with white rice or tortillas, if desired. Enjoy!
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.