Beef Cheek Barbacoa
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 8 hours in slow cooker, or 3 hours in Instant Pot | Serves: 6-8
- Rumba® Beef Cheekmeat (1 package)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 quart beef stock or bone broth (can substitute water or chicken stock)
- Place beef cheeks in slow cooker or Instant Pot. Add remaining ingredients.
- For slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours until beef cheeks are tender and easily shredded. For Instant Pot, cook on soup/stew setting for approximately 2-3 hours. Once cooked, strain liquid and shred beef cheeks with fork.
- Use shredded barbacoa right away or cool down, separate into two zipper-sealed bags (half of mixture in each), and freeze for later use. See recipes below for using beef barbacoa for tacos or quesadillas.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 6 (3 Tacos each)
½ beef cheek barbacoa mix, thawed
½ white onion, finely chopped
2 cups chopped cilantro
1 bag shredded green cabbage
Juice of ½ lime
Kosher salt to taste
18 corn or flour tortillas
- To reheat barbacoa for tacos, remove frozen bag of precooked barbacoa from freezer 1 day prior.
- Once thawed, pour meat into microwaveable bowl and place in microwave. Heat until meat reaches minimum internal temperature of 140°F (approximately 4-5 minutes).
- For taco toppings, mix onion, cilantro, cabbage, lime juice and salt to taste. Serve barbacoa over corn or flour tortillas and top with mixture.
Tip: To add extra flavor and texture to barbacoa, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to large skillet on medium high heat and add pre-cooked barbacoa. Cook until meat reaches minimum internal temperature of 140°F (approximately 6-8 minutes).