Beef Cheek Barbacoa
Rumba® Beef Cheekmeat
- 20 MIN Prep Time
- 8 HRS Cook Time
- 6-8 Servings
- Rumba® Beef Cheekmeat (1 package)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 quart beef stock or bone broth (can substitute water or chicken stock)
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES | SERVES: 6
½ beef cheek barbacoa (see Beef Cheek Barbacoa recipe), thawed
½ white onion, finely chopped
2 cups chopped cilantro
1 bag shredded green cabbage
Juice of ½ lime
Kosher salt, to taste
18 corn or flour tortillas
- Transfer thawed beef barbacoa to a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes, or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F and is fully heated.
- In a bowl, combine onion, cilantro, cabbage, lime juice and salt to taste. Toss to blend.
- Serve beef barbacoa over corn or flour tortillas topped with shredded cabbage mixture.
- Place beef cheekmeat in a slow cooker or instant pot. Add remaining ingredients.
- For slow cooker: Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours, or until beef cheekmeat reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF and meat is tender.
- For instant pot: Cook on soup/stew setting for approximately 2 to 3 hours, or until beef cheekmeat reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF and meat is tender.
- Strain liquid and shred beef cheekmeat with a fork.
- Use shredded barbacoa right away or cool down and portion into 2 zipper-sealed bags (half of mixture in each), and freeze for later use.
- See recipes below for using beef barbacoa for tacos or quesadillas.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.