Tinga De Res Tostadas
Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat
- 25 mins Prep Time
- 8 hrs 20 mins Cook Time
- 6 Servings
- 1 package Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat (about 1½ to 3 pounds)
- ½ white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Roma tomatoes, broiled until lightly charred
- 2 canned, drained chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 8 corn tostadas, warm
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large avocado, thin sliced
- ½ cup Mexican crema
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
For a shareable appetizer, pan-fry small street-size corn tortillas until crisp. Top with tinga de res, fresh toppings, and arrange on a large cutting board or plate to serve.
- Combine beef cheek meat, ½ onion, 2 garlic cloves, bay leaf, and water in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours until cheek meat is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove beef cheek meat and cool slightly. Trim fat, using 2 forks, shred meat and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add oregano, cumin, and salt.
- Combine broiled tomatoes, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce and 2 garlic cloves in a blender and pulse until completely smooth. Add to onions and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes until color deepens and sauce has thickened. Add shredded cheek meat and simmer for 10 minutes Taste and adjust seasonings.
- To prepare tostadas, top tostadas evenly with tinga de res. Layer each tostada evenly with shredded lettuce, sliced avocado, a drizzle of Mexican crema and crumbled queso fresco.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.