Tacos De Guisado
Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat
- 20 mins Prep Time
- 2 hrs 20 mins Cook Time
- 6 Servings
- 1 package Rumba Meats® Beef Cheek Meat (about 1½ to 3 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground guajillo chile powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2-3 cups beef or chicken broth
- Corn tortillas, warm, as needed
- Chopped white onion
- Salsa verde
- Lime wedges
Variation: Serve beef guisado plated with Mexican rice, black beans, and warm flour tortillas as a traditional dinner.
- Trim and slice beef cheek meat into small pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven on high heat. Add beef cheek meat pieces and brown evenly, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To same pot, add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and onions, reduce heat, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, salt, cumin, oregano, and ground guajillo chile powder and stir to blend. Continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour and cook over low heat until completely blended, about 2 minutes,
- Add 2 cups broth. Using a spatula, scrape down sides of pot and browned bits on the bottom of the pot until everything is blended. Partially cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until cheek meat is tender and reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Add additional broth, as needed, while cheek meat is cooking. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Layer guisado into warm corn tortillas with your favorite toppings such as chopped onions, guacamole, salsa verde, and lime.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.