Pickled Red Onions
- 10 MIN Prep Time
- 5 min Cook Time
- 6 Servings
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic in water
- 1 large red onion, sliced into ¼” inch strips
You can also use this same recipe to pickle the following:
Pickled Carrots: Replace red onions with 2 cups shredded carrots.
Pickled Green or Red Cabbage: Replace red onions with 2 cups shredded cabbage.
Pickled Jalapeño Peppers: Replace red onions with 4 jalapeño peppers cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Place vinegar, salt, sugar, black pepper and garlic in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, whisking to dissolve sugar and salt.
- While liquid is heating, peel and cut red onion into ¼-inch julienne slices. Place in bowl or container.
- Remove liquid from heat and pour over onions. Place in refrigerator and allow to pickle for a minimum of 8 hours.
- 4. To serve, drain pickled red onions and use as topping for various dishes. Lasts two months in refrigerator.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.