Back to all recipes
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 2-3 hours | Serves: 6
- Rumba® Beef Outside Skirt (2 lbs.)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 qt low-sodium beef broth or water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups sofrito
- 1 cup reserved broth
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup peas, cooked
- 1/4 cup pimento strips with juice
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place steak in a large soup pot with the carrots, onions, garlic, peppers, broth, salt and enough additional water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently until the meat is tender, skimming often during the process, about 2 hours. To test for tenderness, use a fork to see if the meat easily separates when pulled. If not, cook in additional 30 minute increments until tender.
- When the meat is cooked, carefully remove it from the pot and cool. Strain and reserve the broth.
- When the meat is cool to the touch, shred the meat into thick strings.
- Combine the shredded meat with the sofrito, 1 cup reserved broth, sherry, peas and pimento and return to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with toasted bread squares, white rice, fried plantains and black beans.