Back to all recipes
Beef Tamales with Pasilla and Chile de Arbol Sauce
prep time: | cook time:
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 4+ hours | Serves: 24
- Rumba® Beef Outside Skirt (1 package)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup), divided
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved
- 6 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2 teaspoons each: ground cumin and dried Mexican oregano
- 6 pasilla chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 4 guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 3 chiles de árbol, stemmed and seeded
- 30 corn husks
- 1 1/3 cups pork lard (or vegetable shortening)
- 4 cups corn masa mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth, warm
- Season beef outside skirt with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy pot. Add beef, and brown on medium-high heat. Add ½ cup onion, 4 garlic cloves, and jalapeno, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 6 cups broth and 1 teaspoon each: cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 3 hours.
- Remove beef and slice meat across grain, and shred. Strain and save meat broth.
- Toast chiles, ½ cup onion and 4 garlic cloves in a skillet. Cover with water and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain chile mixture: transfer to blender with 1 cup strained liquid and puree. Strain sauce, if needed. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet. Add chile mixture, reserved meat broth and 1 teaspoon each: cumin and oregano. Simmer until thickened.
- Combine ½ cup chile sauce with shredded meat, save remaining sauce. Place corn husks in a large pot of water, bring to a boil, turn off heat and soak for 30 minutes. Drain husks and pat dry.
- In a mixing bowl, whip lard until fluffy. Add masa, baking powder and salt; mix to blend. Slowly add chicken broth and ½ cup reserved chile sauce, and mix until blended.
- To assemble tamales, spread 4 tablespoons masa over bottom half of each husk. Top with 2 tablespoons shredded beef filling, fold closed and tie. Repeat with remaining batter and filling.
- Line steamer with corn husks, arrange tamales upright in steamer. Top with corn husks. Close lid and steam tamales for 1 hour or until masa pulls away from husks.