Rumba® Thin-Sliced Beef Round Steak
prep time: cook time:
- 20 MIN Prep Time
- 25 MIN Cook Time
- 20 Servings
- Rumba® Thin-Sliced Beef Round Steak (1 package, about 1¾ pounds)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup grated Oaxacan cheese
- ¼ cup salsa roja
For Pupusa Dough:
- 4 cups masa harina
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups cold water
- Salvadoran curtido pickled slaw, prepared (or see Quick Curtido recipe below)
- Salsa roja, as needed
- 3 cups tri-color shredded coleslaw mix
- ½ red onion, thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Season round steak slices with salt and black pepper to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Working in several smaller batches, add steak slices and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until fully cooked. Repeat with remaining steak slices, adding more oil as needed.
- Cool steak slices and rough chop into small pieces or pulse in a food processor until fine chopped. In a bowl, combine with grated cheese and salsa roja.
- For pupusa dough: Combine masa harina and salt in a mixing bowl. Add water and mix with your hands to form a soft dough.
- To prepare pupusas: Scoop a golf ball-size portion of dough into your hands and pat into a 4-inch disc. Fill with a small scoop of steak filling, fold outer edges towards the center, pinch closed, and pat in your palms to form a 4-inch disc. Repeat with remaining pupusas. (Use any remaining steak filling for burritos, tacos, or quesadillas.)
- Heat a large griddle or skillet over medium heat. Cook pupusas for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with remaining pupusas.
- Serve warm with curtido and salsa roja.
- To make the Quick Curtido, combine coleslaw and onions in a large bowl and toss to blend.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over slaw mix and toss to blend.
- Curtido can be made ahead and kept refrigerated for 5 days.
Find Your Faves
Get the cuts you crave at a store near you.